|5th Edition Lists|
|Gear // Magic // Hacking // Skills // Qualities // Packs // Creatures|
|Armor/Clothing // Cyberware // Magical // Vehicles/Drones // Vehicle Mods // Weapons // Electronics // Security // Medical // Others|
Laser weapons suffer no recoil. Laser weapons lose focus and deliver less damage over longer distances. For each range category beyond Short, decrease the weapon’s DV by 1 (Medium –1, Long –2, Extreme –3). Laser weapons are also affected by particulate matter in the air that reduce the beam’s focus. Environmental Visibility Conditions (p. 175, SR5) also affect DV. Decrease the DV by 1 for each level of Visibility modifiers (Light –1, Moderate –2, Heavy –3). The air condition and distance modifiers stack with each other, so firing a Redline at a target at Extreme Range through Moderate Fog reduces the DV by 5.
Portable laser weapons derive their power from peak discharge battery packs (see p. 52). Stationary or vehicle mounted laser weapons are often directly linked to energy sources.
Laser weapons require the Exotic Ranged Weapon (Laser Weapons) skill to use.
They may mount underbarrel and top mounted accessories only and cannot be modified in any way.
- Exotic Ranged Weapons (Laser Weapons)
- See weapon.
- -1 DV per Range Category
- -1 DV per level of Visibility Modifier
- Underbarrel and Top only
- Cannot be modified
Nothing confirms that you’re living in the future like burning a hole in someone with a concentrated beam of light. That’s what a laser does for you, and for some people that’s reason enough to wield them. But if you add on top of that the fact that they don’t leave behind bullet cases and they don’t experience recoil, you perhaps have some more practical reasons for taking one out in the field.
|Ares Archon Heavy MP Laser||7||10P||-10||SA||–||External Source||24F||35,000¥||SR5:R&G|
|Ares Lancer MP Laser||7||7P||-10||SA||–||2×10 (c) or
|Ares Redline Laser||9||5P||-10||SA||–||10 (c) or
Ares Archon Heavy MP Laser
- Standard upgrades
- Bipod, tripod mount, or gyro stabilization unit mount
- The Archon uses 4 power unit per shot and is powered by either an external battery pack (almost always a power backpack) or by linking it directly into the local energy sources when used as part of a permanent emplacement (for unlimited ammo as long as the energy supply remains online).
- The Archon uses sniper rifle ranges.
Pushing the limits of the MP denotation, the Archon is Ares’ biggest personal laser system. Too heavy and awkward for most users the Archon comes standard with a bipod and a mount for either a tripod or gyro-mount. This bad boy will make anyone stand up and take notice.
- More like duck for cover if they’re smart!
- Actually, more like stand up and raise their arms in surrender. This beast cuts through cover.
Ares Lancer MP Laser
|7||7P||-10||SA||–||2 x 10(c) or external source||18F||16,000¥||SR5:R&G|
- The Archon uses 2 power units per shot and is either powered by twin power clips or by an external satchel or backpack power pack.
- It uses Assault Rifle ranges.
It was inevitable with the popularity of the Redline that the MP-Laser line would get an upgrade and facelift to fit the image of a sci-fi laser rifle, ready for an alien invasion. Though unless the aliens are attacking a high-profile Ares facility or Firewatch training facility, we likely won’t see many Lancers on the front line.
- The Lancer is the evolution of the MP-III “Dragon,” a model that had very poor product recognition and identity due to the helicopter of the same name.
Ares Redline Laser
|9||5P||-10||SA||–||10(c) or external source||14F||7,500¥||SR5:R&G|
- The Ares Redline consumes 1 power unit per shot and draws its power from a detachable power clip or an external source, usually a satchel power pack.
- It uses SMG ranges.
Featured as the weapon of Ace Holt in the Cross Point: Daedalus trideo trilogy, the Ares Redline laser pistol has been the poster child for Ares’ laser weapons program. Even though it has been on the market for a number of years the Redline has not seen many improvements or, as most folks were hoping, an increase in production volume.
|Melee||Blades // Clubs // Exotic // Implant // Improvised // Misc.|
|Ranged||Ballistic Projectiles // Flamethrowers // Exotic // Lasers // Throwing|
|Firearms||Taser // Pistols (Hold-Out / Light / Heavy / Machine) // Submachine Guns // Rifles (Assault / Sniper / Sporting) // Shotguns // Machine Guns // Misc. (Exotic / Implant)|
|Large-Caliber Projectiles||Assault Cannons // Launchers (Grenade // Missile)|
|Misc.||Firearm Accessories // Weapon Consumables (Ammunition / Ballistic Projectile / Grenades / Rockets & Missiles)|